Moving from manual testing to automation testing can proof to be a challenge especially when it comes to the technologies, frameworks and tools that need to be in-place. The hardest part of automation testing is setting up the environment. This article hopes to simplify the process for you.
Check if node is installed by typing the following in your command line “node -v” or “node –version“. If installed you get the version number of the node available on your system
otherwise visit https://nodejs.org/en/download/ to download.
Appium is an open source test automation framework used for android testing on windows, MAC and linux OS. It requires Android Software Development Kit (JDK) as a dependency to function. Check if JDK is installed by typing in your command prompt “java -version” and you get the version of the JDK on your system otherwise, visit http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk8-downloads-2133151.html
Check if Appium is installed in the command line type “appium -v“. If installed you’ll get the version number, if not, In the command line type “npm install -g appium“
Installing appium might be a little tricky, you need to make sure that you already have
Connecting Katalon Studio to appium.
Katalon is a tool for mobile, web and API testing. Katalon studio allows user with less experience in programming language background to work effortlessly.
- Open katalon studio.
- Go to Menu–Windows–Katalon studio prefrences–Katalon–select mobile —
- Browse through appium folder and click apply and save
Setting up Android Device for Automation
Download and install an application to mirror your device. In our case we use Vysor https://www.vysor.io/.
- Open Vysor and connect mobile device with usb.
- Open developer options and enable USB debugging
Connecting Katalon Studio to Mobile Device, Automating Test cases and Execution
- Create a new project on katalon studio
- Create a test suite/testcase
- Click on record mobile (You should see mobile device name and location)
- Select the mobile application to test and click OK. And there you go. Continue testing.