Since backend developers are regarded as the backbone of the website development process, it is always required of them to have the necessary expertise and working knowledge of programming languages and web development tools. Selecting the best programming language for a project is one of the difficulties backend developers encounter. This might be regarded as a low-risk challenge because, in the end, they can use any language to accomplish their goals. While each has advantages and disadvantages, developers frequently struggle to decide between Python and PHP, two of the most popular programming languages for web development. Below is a breakdown of the two programming languages with recommendations on which to choose depending on the situation.
Python is a high-level, object-oriented programming language that may be used to create unique applications and scripting algorithms across a variety of domains. It was created by Guido Van Rossum in 1991 and is now regarded as one of the most popular and quickly growing programming languages. According to the Stack Overflow 2021 survey, Python is ranked as one of the languages that people seek and adore the most. This may be due to the fact that it has a simpler syntax or is more powerful, portable, open-source, and user-friendly.
Python can be used for web development since it functions as a scripting language for web browsers. Python is a popular choice among developers because it only requires a small amount of code and emphasizes readability and simplicity. When developers want to construct websites with the Django or Web2Py frameworks, or when they need sophisticated data analytics, Python is the programming language of choice. Python is primarily utilized by those working in robotics or data science.
Features of Python
- Python is a portable language so it can run on different hardware platforms using the same user interface
- Python code is easy to write, debug and maintain
- It provides a perfect structure and support for large programs
- Low-level modules are easy to include in the Python interpreter
- You can integrate Python with C, C++, and Java programming code
- It has an interactive shell that allows you to test before the actual implementation.
Rasmus Lerdorf, a Danish-Canadian software developer, developed PHP, or the Hypertext Pre-processor, in 1995. PHP is an open-source server-side scripting language that has historically been a good option for web developers because of its special features, plugins, libraries, and add-ons, as well as the fact that practically all web browsers support the programming language. Typically, it is used to produce XML documents, PDF files, graphics, and other types of information for the web. Many developers choose PHP when creating websites, online apps, blogs, and other server-side projects while working on a tight budget.
Features of PHP
- PHP is easier to employ and code than other scripting languages
- It supports different databases like MySQL and Oracle, and hence, provides database integration.
- PHP gives access to log in by making a summary of the latest user accesses.
- Since PHP is an open-source language, you can download and use it for free.
As a beginner, you can experiment with both programming languages based on the task at hand or choose the one with which you feel the most comfortable. As long as you are able to complete your work, it really does not matter what programming language you choose.